Looking to plug in and develop a network of friends and contacts in a city near you? Well look no further than these 5 red-hot social networking destinations. Each is poised to help you build your Rolodex, find a community of people with whom you share a common interest, or take advantage of a host of competitive discounts in a city near you.
1) LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site that allows users to form groups of professional “connections” with people in a host of industries.
2) Meetup: Meetup is “the world’s largest network of local groups.” The site allows users to organize a local group or find one of the thousands of already existing meetup groups across the country.
3) Groupon: Groupon features discounted gift certificates, or Groupons (“group coupons”), that are usable at host of local or national companies.
4) FourSquare: FourSquare is a mobile social network that allows users to “check in” and let their friends know where they are via their mobile devices.
5) Going: Going “shows the best of local entertainment, nightlife, concerts, bars, parties, and things to do.” As their site says, “See what’s happening in your city, and who’s going.”